Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Breaking The Heart

Let me tell you what my day consisted of...

1 Front tooth knocked out of the socket
2 Stitches
3 Hours with doctors and dentists
4 People holding down my sweet little Tater Bug
5 Days on a soft diet for Tater Bug
6 Treats and surprises for Tater Bug for being such a good boy through it all
7 Days we follow up with the dentist and the doctor

Do you wanna know what is going on? I got a phone call this morning at work from the sitter, K. She was semi-frantic and told me that Tater Bug had tripped and fell on the coffee table. She thought his teeth might have bit through his lip because it was bleeding a lot. She thought I needed to come over there straight away to look at it. So I dropped everything and ran out the door. Luckily, she lives only minutes from my work. I was there in 5 minutes flat. I tried to mentally prepare myself for the sight I was about to see. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I don't deal with blood, needles, or doctors very well.

When I walked in the door, he was still crying and K hit me with lots of info all at once. "Here is the number to the dentist. I don't know if you need to call the pediatrician first. You need to see his tooth." I looked... Wow... My baby, who took 16 months to get his very first tooth, is now losing his first tooth only 19 months later! Don't freak out... Stay calm... And I did, thankfully. I hugged him and waited for my mom to call me back and tell me what to do. She told me to bring him over to her and they would take a look at it. (She works adjacent to an Urgent Treatment Center.)

We got there, the doctor looked at it and said he probably needed a stitch but the dentist most definitely needed to look at that tooth. There is a Pediatric Dentist right up the road. They called and told them we were coming. She x-rayed it to see if the root got broken off. It had not, so she just popped it back into place while we held him down. Poor guy. She told us that it is a wait and see game. He may still lose the tooth, but it may bounce back and recover. We get to go back in 7 days and then again in 2 months. He got 2 Thomas stickers and 2 toy airplanes for being so good. Back over to the Urgent Treatment Center we went.

We got signed in and they started prepping to put the stitch in. The Dr. told us that he is very conservative about stitching the mouth and lip. Usually he would just send us along our way. But this gash was very deep. In fact, when he got to looking, it was much deeper and bigger than he thought and it required two stitches. So, Memaw, Mommy, the nurse and the doctor all held him down while he stitched his lip. It was the 2nd worse 15 minutes of my life so far. (The 1st was when he had a febrile seizure a couple of years ago.) Tater Bug is okay now. He has to be on a soft diet for the next 5 days. Daddy brought him home 2 more surprises for being so good. However, he will not be able to use the paci (I guess it is time to get rid of it) for a while. We also have to be careful with sippy cups. Needless to say, we had a bad day.

To top it all off, a little boy in the daycare has tested positive for RSV today. Stink Bait has been sick the last few days and we have debated whether or not to take him in. Well, he is going in tomorrow to get tested for it. Hopefully it will be nothing, but I am not too optimistic at this point. So, how was your day?

8 comments:

  1. Poor Tater Bug! Poor you! I would have been frantic. I'm glad you had your mother just around the corner. I'm glad he was a trooper through it all...what a little guy!

    I hope recovery comes soon and the tooth can bounce back.

    Jac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. That is awful. I hope he is doing okay today

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Tater Bug! Poor Mommy! I'll be there tomorrow, literally!!! to give you both hugs! Miss you, Love you! Bless your hearts...

    Love you, Bren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! Life with little people. I hope Tater Bug feels better soon and the little one. Praying for good test results on the RSV thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found you through sits. I hate that your day was so full of craziness! and I hope your little taterbug is feeling better!

    My little one had RSV last year. She was really snotty and just full of yuck. They told me that really the only thing i could do was to constantly suck her nose out (I used some saline drops before sucking). They did give me a thing for some breathing treatments though. She was all better in about a week.

    Hang in there

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, I would totally freak out if this happened to my daughters. You're such a trooper and awesome mom for being so calm and handling it so well (even when you're not feeling so calm in your heart).. It must have been very scary experience for him. It's true, isn't it when people say, "It only takes a second"? I hope he gets better soon...

    Well, it's been over a week, but I just wanted to thank you so much for supporting my big day last week Wednesday. It meant a lot to me that you took the time to visit my blog..

    Stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa! That is not a day of rest. I'm so sorry about all of this. My daughter fell and had a tooth injury when she was about 5 and it ended up ok. Her permanent tooth came in without any damage on it. I hope the same for your little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! Just read about your day. What a FUN ONE YOU HAD, huh? Good luck on keeping that tooth! I'm glad that either way - it's just a baby tooth. =0) We had to hold my daughter down like that for the dentist when she was only 16 months old. It was AWFUL!!! Not a fun thing for a mommy.

    ReplyDelete