Going into Tater Bug's evaluation, I was a little nervous. He is currently under the state program for early intervention. This program runs out when the child turns 3 and it is turned over the public school system. It is my understanding that the child would need help in two or more areas to qualify. Meaning he would have to need OT AND Speech in order to get into the preschool program.
Tater Bug was discharged from Speech back in October, however, he still needs OT. There is a clause that states if the issues at hand will hinder his ability to be in a classroom and learn, then he will be accepted. So if his issues will prohibit him from learning, then he will be accepted.
I knew when he woke up Friday morning that he was going to show them all of his colors! He was being very argumentative with me. We had trouble getting him started, but after some bribing with Cars snacks, he began to interact with the evaluator. Tater Bug is EXTREMELY smart. But he is also very stubborn and does not listen. If he is in a strange situation, he has a hard time focusing. These are my main concerns for school.
From the beginning, he was very difficult to work with. He even ended up hitting the evaluator in the face. These are things that we deal with on a daily basis. It goes beyond terrible two's. I hate it when people attribute it to his age or just being a boy. I am his mother and I KNOW what is normal and what isn't. I can tell when it is "just the age." He is a very loving child, but if he is over stimulated, he has a really hard time coping with it. She got to see the things that I am concerned about. I won't know for sure until next week, but she said he is probably borderline. She doesn't know if it is in one or two areas. If he is borderline in two areas, then he will be automatically accepted.
I don't want to take a spot away from a kid who needs it, but I am really hoping he qualifies. His issues aren't HORRIBLE, but he needs some help. There is no doubt about it. Being born premature has had these lasting effects on him and I want him to have as much help as possible.
So keep your fingers crossed for us. He was bad, which was good for us. I am glad she got to see the things that we have had trouble with. Even though she got smacked in the face!
I've got my fingers crossed for you guys. Preschool did wonders for A. Sounds like Taterbug did "good". LOL
ReplyDeleteIt's sometimes helpful when they don't want to cooperate! Again, I hope it goes the way you want it and need it to go. You're right TB's EXTREMELY smart, and if public preschool can help with the sensory/stimulation issues (it really helped J!) then I say go for it. I understand not wanting to "take" a spot from another child, BUT you have to look out for your kiddo! I'm wishing for you the outcome you want, hope to hear some news next week!!! Love you, Bren
ReplyDeleteSounds like TB did "good" to hopefully get in your PPCD program. If your program is anything like ours, you will love it and it will be so good for TB. Good luck.
ReplyDeleteJ