To the NICU...
Last night, I had my first volunteer opportunity to come face to face with NICU parents. It was the first time I had been back on the 6th floor since March of 2006. It was the first time I sat in THAT waiting room. The one where I anxiously awaited shift change to be over with so I could go back in and be with my son. I was a little nervous going there. However, coming face to face with NICU parents made it all worth while.
Obviously, for privacy reasons, I can not discuss it in too much detail, but I will tell you that I really don't know who it helped more. Me or them. To be able to sit there with a smile on my face and offer tips and advice on getting through this horrible time was amazing. I hope I helped them in some way. If not just to have someone listen to their story. Obviously, when we find ourselves in the NICU, it is the result of something traumatic. Something we didn't think would happen to us. And that is really hard to get over. I know I have spent the last 3 years trying to get over it. I don't think I ever will. But it does get better.
So I can't wait to volunteer more of my time. I will go through the final phase of my training in two weeks. At that point, I will be allowed to go back into the NICU and sit with each parent by their baby's bed. I can't wait!

I'm so happy you had a good experience last night. It has to make a WORLD of difference for the "new" NICU parents being able to see someone face-to-face who's "been there." I can only imagine the peace you are bringing them, the knowledge that someone outside their family cares, the comfort of a friendly face. I'm so happy you are finding some peace of your own too. You are truly an amazing spirit. Love you, Bren
ReplyDeleteWow, I bet it was amazing. Hubby and I are on the parent advisor board at our NICU, and we are on a 'list' in case parents wants to see a baby with a trach in the 'outside world'. I would love to volunteer to sit with other parents, I just don't know if I'm ready for that yet.
ReplyDeletethat is wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThat is so great you are getting to do that. I wish I had the same oppurtunity!
ReplyDeleteLove,Tracy
Thank you for your service in the NICU. Having had children in the NICU in the past year, I understand the feelings associated with such a place and having someone who cares and who's been there to support others is soooo important! Have a great day from a fellow SITSta. :)
ReplyDelete