The one I have been dreading since I started this photography thing... (Scared you, didn't I?)
Let me back up a second... I, in no way, consider myself a professional photographer. Just doing something that I love to do and just by chance capturing a few pretty good shots along the way. I have doubted myself since I got my camera. I mean, I know what I like out of a photograph, but do others see it the way that I do. Yeah, my family and friends have told me they are great. But you know, they are a little biased. And I am my worst critic. I barely know anything about aperture, ISO, and shutter speed. Throw in white balance, exposure, and all the possibilities that photoshop brings and my head is spinning. Seriously. I have books. I am still reading them. I have been trying to pay more attention to photographs that I like... That move me... I don't feel like I have even a smidgen of experience yet. Still amateur.
"How much would you charge for a wedding?"
Silence....
Crickets....
"Um..." I didn't know what to say. Honestly, I feel honored that someone likes my pictures well enough to trust me with the most important day in their life. However, I really would never forgive myself if I royally screwed it up. You can't take the day back. The pressure. To NOT screw it up. I don't know if I can take it. My fear, my insecurities all came to a head this afternoon. My mom, and partner in crime, thinks I can do it. She has faith in me. The question is, do I have faith in myself?!? A little help, please?

I totally know what you mean!! I did ONE wedding for friends that were having a very simple outdoor wedding, and it was a 'freebie', so I knew that no matter how bad they turned out, they'd accept it and forgive me. Yet still, I was nervous.
ReplyDeleteI love portraits - cuz if you screw them up, retake. Weddings? YES, I TOTALLY GET IT! FREAKIN' SCAREY!!! I know you 'can', but I totally get your fear. I'm RIGHT THERE WITH YA!!!
I have no idea what photographers charge these days.
ReplyDeleteTwo years ago our friend's photographer cancelled on them the morning of their wedding so I ended up doing their pictures. I was so nervous. But in the end I realized, just take a zillion pictures. Seriously, never stop taking pictures, and you're bound to have some brilliant ones in there! Oh and at the end of the night when people were liquored up I went around and took pics of everyone doing the rockstar symbol with their hand and it was hilarious. The bride and groom loved it!
Take a leap of faith my friend! Your pictures are amazing (I swear I'm trying NOT to be biased here!!!) and obviously others think so, or you wouldn't be getting booking after booking! I know it must be wickedly intimidating to say "yes, I'd love to photograph your wedding!" But girl, there's always the "1st time." Your Mom is going to be there too; she'll be your support system on site. Give yourself the credit you are due, and go for it! I think you'll find a little more confidence and faith in yourself if you do... Love you, Bren
ReplyDeleteThere's a reason they say "Mother's Know Best!"
ReplyDeleter
ReplyDeleteSorry about that earlier post! First off, I'd say to believe in yourself. Every photographer I've ever seen shoot at a wedding takes hundreds of shots....most which turn out perfect. I think you'll do just fine. Remember, the bride and groom only select a fracture of the ones shot, so statistically speaking.......they'll have alot to choose from. Unless you leave the cap on the lense, you'll do fine. I think you need to give yourself some credit and see your pictures the way we see them......beautiful!
ReplyDeleteAs for prices, I'd check around in your area and online to see what going rates are.........don't sell yourself short :)
You should so do it! You have to start somewhere...eventually a first wedding! Like everyone else, take tons and give them tons to choose from.
ReplyDeleteAs for pricing, give them a set price for just your time. If the pictures turn out, tell them you'll work out a great deal for them. After all, they are putting faith in you as well giving you some experiences. After you have a few under your belt, charge like heck! LOL
:) Jac
That's great! I'm so happy for you.
ReplyDeleteThat is a really awesome call to get! You just have to go with your gut. I have not been able to commit to a wedding yet. I have the same fears you do. I just feel that I need more experience before I am confident enough to say that I could do it. Good luck with your decision!
ReplyDelete