Wednesday, April 8, 2009

What's In A Name?

Aileigh...

That is obviously not my real name. However, you could find me being called that way back in the day. Where does it come from? Well, my real name is Aimee. Being born in 1976, the name was common but the spelling was not. My real middle name is Leigh. Also, a common name but not a common spelling. In my circle of friends, there were too many "Amy's" so we got nicknames to keep us straight. My friend, B, came up with mine. Aileigh. And it stuck. I love the name sooo much that I wanted to name my daughter after it. Well, as luck would have it, I don't have a daughter. So, my profiles, emails, usernames, etc... have all been a variation of that nickname. My online persona is Aileigh and will to continue to be Aileigh.

So do you have a nickname? If so, where did it come from?

5 comments:

  1. Some of my friends call me Shan Shan from time to time or just plain Shan. Boring, I know. Hubs calls me ShanniePooh sometimes. Sweet, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have LOTS. Some people from high school called me Goose sometimes, mostly because I goosed people all the time. One of my friends parents from high school still calls me that when I see her. I usually get called Kel, Kelly-Belly, monkey, chick, monkeychick... Were weird like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great way to get a nickname.

    I don't have an usual nickname. Mine is just Jo short for Joanne. My mom started calling me that when we started watching The Facts of Life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, my most common 'nickname' is E or Yucca. My sister couldn't say "Erica" when I was born, so she called me "Ucca". Over the years, it kinda morphed to Yucca, and by junior high and highschool all of my friends called me YUCCA. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of my college friends call me "Li". It's a shortened version of my real name. They shortened it because I, too, had the same problem as you growing up. I, too, was born in 1976 and was bestowed with a very common moniker. I won't give you the full version, but you already know it starts with an L and you can probably figure out what it is. :)

    Anyhoo, one of my friends combined my first name with my last name for yet another nickname, and it's stuck with me ever since. I don't mind it. It's better than some of the other nicknames I've had over the years. ;)

    ReplyDelete