Friday, May 8, 2009

Well That Throws A Wrench Into Things

Tonight, instead of blogging about how wonderful my birthday went on Wednesday (which BTW was awesome), I will be telling you all what has transpired in my life over the last 24 hours! A little back history first...

If you click over on the History of Tater Bug on my right sidebar, you pretty much know about my past medical issues. If you don't feel like reading it, I will sum it up for you... Tater Bug's premature birth was the result of an infection I had that went undetected. That very same infection caused me to become septic, have bilateral pnuemonia, and a blood clot close to my heart.

Yesterday, when I got home from work, my feet felt funny. I looked down to find my feet and ankles VERY ABNORMALLY swollen. I mean, this gave new meaning to the word "Cankles!" I am a bigger woman, but this was not normal. I called my mom, fearing the worst. She is an ultrasound tech and came over immediately. We headed off to urgent care to have it checked out. Two things were at play here... Either fluid retention or a blood clot(s). We got checked in and coincidentally, my mom works adjacent to the urgent treatment center, so the doc ordered an ultrasound of my legs. Guess who did it? Yep, Momma!

She started on my right and didn't find any indication of a clot. Moved over to my left leg and got almost done with it before she found it. A blood clot in my left calf. Now, after my last clot, I had a full panel run on me twice checking for blood clotting disorders. Once while I was in the hospital and then over a year later... just to be sure. All came back negative. So why have I gotten another one? Beats me...

So now I am on Lovenox shots twice a day and coumadin until I get to a theraputic level. I was lucky in the sense that I didn't get my bum thrown into the hospital. I saw the NP at the hematologists office today. She basically informed me that I am on the lifetime coumadin train now! Wonderful! They took blood today and I am not sure that they left anything for me. I counted at least six vials! I get to go give blood again on Tuesday and I see the doctor himself on Wednesday. Maybe he can offer up some answers as to why this has all happened. Last time they blamed it on pregnancy, infection, and multiple IV attempts. I am almost 7 months post partum. This shouldn't be happening.

I have been keeping my legs elevated and the swelling has gone down a bit. I have been told to take it easy. I am having this overwhelming feeling of running out of my 9 lives. As far as I can count, I have already busted through at least 4 or 5! I was petrified to fall asleep last night. My fear of the clot moving kept me awake for most of the night.

So I guess I am asking for a few prayers here. If you can. I am scared and uncertain of what my future brings. It scares me to think that there is something else going on that we aren't finding.

Thank you!

9 comments:

  1. Oh Aileigh, I'm so sorry. How scary. You will be in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad they found it soon! Definitely will say a prayer for you! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I'm sure it's very scary. Luckily it sounds like you and the doctors are on top of things, so I'm sure you will be just fine. I'll keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had ultrasounds in my legs because my doctor thought I had clots a couple of times in the past. Fortunately I didn't, but the experience is still very scary. I'm keeping you in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweetie, I'm just thankful your Mom found the problem & that you're under the care of a competent Dr. When you see him on WED let him know you're scared and you'd like some answers. They have to be able to figure out something!!! Do you think the difference b/w Tater Bug & Stink Bait could be you were on Lovenox while pregnant with SB? I don't know, just throwing it out there? Your 2 pregnancies were VERY different in approach/duration/& outcome. I'm hoping they run your panels again & get you some definitive answers to your ?s! You know you are SO in my heart. My heart is aching that you are going through anything remotely scary again...sending you lots and lots of hugs and love. (Thrilled your birthday was awesome btw...we somehow neglected to discuss that in our last few conversations. :( ) Love you, Bren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allie, Talk to the doctor about your fears. I am sure he/she will be able to help you. Also, he/she might consider having you see a special doctor who puts in a filter.... that would catch a clot before it goes to places you don't want it to. Point is, there are things they can do, if they think you need it..... saying a prayer for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stay strong and push until you get all the answers you need. Sending prayers your way..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Aileigh! I'm so sorry to hear it! I'm so behind on checking blogs, but came over this morning to get caught up and found this.

    I'll be praying for you, Girl. Happy Belated Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course I will pray Aileigh! For peace for wisdom for your doctors for restored health.

    BlogBaby

    ReplyDelete