I have never been a believer in regret. I feel like everything that we do and everything that happens to us shapes us into the people that we are meant to be. We learn from it and try to become better people from it.
I don't regret wasting 3 years of my life on an abusive alcoholic. I don't regret distancing myself from family and friends for a time to figure out exactly who I was. I don't regret that long stretch of depression that I hid from the world around me. I don't regret contacting the "sperm donor" to learn more about where I came from.
Those things shaped me into who I am today. Obviously, I wouldn't have met my husband if I hadn't wasted my 3 years on that guy. I wouldn't know who I was and what I wanted out of life if I hadn't spent some "alone time" with myself. I wouldn't know how to find the joys of everyday life had I not known how deep that darkness of depression goes. I wouldn't appreciate my father as much as I do if I hadn't figured out the jerk who contributed to my DNA is a total liar.
But there is one thing I regret... One thing that I wish I could take back. One thing that still rocks me to the very core. One thing in my life that I wish I could get resolved. And, sadly, I don't think it will. (I have blogged about it before, so I won't go into it. Those who know me know what I am talking about.) I am not optimistic.
So what do I do? Let it go? Yeah right. Easier said than done. I have a really hard time letting it go. I just have to go to bed every night with this regret. And hold hope that someday it will get resolved... Or, at the very least, I can come to terms with the fact that I can't change it. Hopefully it will be the first one.

You must have disclosed this prior to me coming aboard but whatever it is I hope you find peace with it!
ReplyDeleteRacking my brain... is this regarding a biological sister? That's what's coming to my mind.
ReplyDeleteOr maybe you're regretting the nickname Sparkles. Ha ha ha (Sorry, just trying to make you smile and lighten the mood a bit!)
I've resigned myself to the fact that I will never be one of those people on their death bed thinking that I lived my life with no regrets. There is a regret I have that I know will always be there. And maybe a living a life with no regrets isn't all it's cracked up to be. That's what I am hoping at least!!
ReplyDeleteThinking of you,
Lauren
ok, so i have been following your littlebugz blog for a while now and i just saw on your facebook this site and the picture blog. LOVE THEM! i have to say, i have spent an incredible amount of time going back and reading all of your past entries on here and looking at all your photos on the other blog. i have laughed, cried, and peed a lot (sorry, i'm preggo!) but your stories have definitely touched me. i cannot wait until you get to take pictures of my soon to be little one! oh and it was great seeing you a few weeks ago, you are just as funny as i remember you being when i was little : )
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear this..I hope you can put it out of your mind at least sometimes so that you can fully enjoy the awesome life you are living now...I agree with Lauren. I've had plenty of regrets and will undoubtedly accumulate many more! You are a sweet, sweet person and I wish you some peace of mind...
ReplyDeleteI haven't read your blog long enough to know what it is you regret so much. However, I hope you find the peace you need to cope with what ever it may be.
ReplyDeleteIt is so hard... to let go.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful blog. Beautiful family.