Tuesday, September 8, 2009

History Of Stink Bait

On February 4th 2008, we consulted the peri and got okay to go with a second pregnancy.


On February 24th 2008, I got a positive pregnancy test.


We were shocked. We thought for sure it would take us a few months to get pregnant. But there we were. In for the ride of our lives. Not sure if we were ready to embark on this new journey. Our trio would become a foursome. I had gotten to the point where if I didn't do it now, I would never do it. So why not just jump both feet first?


We did exactly that. I had an appointment/ultrasound at 6 weeks to check the baby. I had already started Lovenox shots once per day. Everything looked good. The next ten weeks were pretty uneventful. Some testing was done and all came back fine. I was pretty sick for about 98% of that time. I got the rhotovirus twice on top of morning sickness. I lost about 6 pounds, I think.


At 16 weeks, something happened in my personal life that stressed me out pretty bad. Contractions started. By this time I was pretty well versed on what to do if I thought I was having contractions. I did all of those things EXCEPT I didn't call the doctor. By the next morning, they had stopped. However, I told her about them at my next appointment. She was not too happy with me. I was given more explicit instruction and we started the progesterone shots early (at 20 weeks instead of 24).


All was pretty good until my 26 week appointment. My blood pressure was high. Again, I had been having some anxiety issues that day and I couldn't shake them. Since my appointment was on a Friday afternoon, my pregnant bottom was sent down to L&D. I remember standing at the nurses station waiting to get checked in and I just couldn't hold back the tears. I was there by myself. And I couldn't get a hold of anybody.


Lots of tests were ran, including an upper CT Scan. (Because of my history of blood clots and possible pulmonary embolism) I had a blood gas check and one reading came back a little wonky. They finally got my BP down enough to send me home. Because of the blood gas test, my peri wanted me to see a pulmonologist to check my lung functions and such. Those all came back fine. It was determined that I needed something to control my anxiety. From that point on, my family insisted that I not go to ANY appointments alone.


At 32 weeks, I woke up on morning with an odd pain. I didn't think much of it. It continued into the morning and I called my mom. She told me that I should get in to see the peri. She went with me and all the way down there, I kept thinking that I was making a mountain out of a molehill. They hooked me up to the monitor in the office and it was only picking up some slight irritability. Not actual contractions. However, I kept having them. Down to L&D I went again.


This time, when they hooked me up to monitors, I was having full blown contractions. (They were in my back and I never had back labor before.) I was given a shot to try to stop them. It didn't work. Then another shot. That didn't work. Then they had me CHUG a pitcher of water. That helped but they still didn't stop. They slowed enough for them to feel comfortable sending me home. I had a regular appointment with my peri that Friday. I was told to take it easy. Take the drugs (Procardia) if I had any more contractions.


I continued to have contractions and took the procardia, but it made me dizzy. I generally felt horrible while on them. When I got to my appointment, my peri dropped the bedrest bomb. I had been halfway prepared for it, but I wanted to avoid it. So I spent the next 6 weeks doing 20% of my daily activities. Golf Man had to pick up on most of the household duties. Bless his heart. I don't know how he made it through. Not to mention the fact that we had a 2 year old running around!


At 38 weeks, I went to the doctor. I was only a fingertip dilated (which I had been for quite some time) and we were in a wait and see mode. I was scheduled for induction on October 29th. They wanted to take him a few days early because of the diabetes. We got home and did the normal routine with Tater Bug... bath, book, bed. When I finally got settled down around 8 pm, I noticed some contractions. These were lighter. Barely noticeable. But they were frequent. I called the doctor and since I wasn't dilated hardly at all earlier in the day, it would take a while and to just wait it out at home. Okay.

I put mom and the sitter on alert. Thinking this might actually be it. I went to bed and about 15 minutes after I fell asleep, my water started to break. We headed off to the hospital. We got there at a little before midnight. Stink Bait was born a little after 4! It was quick! His heart rate started dropping during contractions so they put me on oxygen. Other than that, things went famously! We got to hold him and cuddle him for an hour. It was the total opposite of Tater Bug's birth! I couldn't have asked for it to be better!

2 comments:

  1. You've had 2 wild rides that ended up with 2 gorgeous little boys! :) It still amazes me how different every pregnancy is~isn't life weird sometimes? I'm so happy you got your "normal" birth experience, my heart still aches that you have to know both sides. But again, you have 2 pretty darn special kiddos and I LOVE them and YOU to pieces! Love you, Bren

    ReplyDelete
  2. My two deliveries were as different as night and day along with my pregnancies. My second one was much easier.

    Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete