Friday, February 13, 2009

Upset

I got the phone call several weeks ago from the public schools telling me that Tater Bug does not qualify for the preschool program. I had come to terms with it... sort of. I mean, if he doesn't qualify he doesn't qualify. But today was the meeting to go over his test results. I was told that if he was "borderline" in two or more areas, then he would qualify. So he was tested in four areas. Normal range for children is a score of 85-115. According to the public schools, if they are 1.5 times below the mean, then they would qualify. Translation... a score of 77 or below.

Tater Bug scored 80, 87, 80, and 109. That means he is in the 9th percentile in two areas and 19th percentile in one area. But his fourth one is in normal range. So my boy is a mere 3 points away!

Had he tested a month later, he would be a 3 year old, the standards would be a little higher, and he would qualify. The second tidbit that I found out is that surrounding counties have been admitting children that absolutely do not need the services prompting an audit by the state. So now the state is coming down on anyone who squeaks in. So there was no convincing or negotiating. I had the primary service coordinator there and his occupational therapist there to plead our case. It didn't do any good.

His vision is my main concern. He was near blind for so long that he didn't develop his visual motor skills like a normal baby/toddler. All hope is not lost yet... He can get retested in May and might qualify then. But as of next Friday, he is no longer receiving any therapy. It is disheartening, but we will deal. I came home and cried today because I am so frustrated. I mean when he was born prematurely, he was born on the borderline. 33 weeks doesn't automatically qualify him for synagis shots. It doesn't qualify him for therapy. But 32 weeks would have. I am tired of him being on the line and I am worried about his future in school. Hopefully he will qualify in May. But if he doesn't, oh well. I guess we will use what we have learned and keep working with him. And we will keep pushing. If he needs help, I will do EVERYTHING in my power to get it for him! That is my job as his mom.

4 comments:

  1. Hey there girl. You gotta fight for your kiddo every step of the way! You're his Mom, you know what's best. I'm totally disheartened by the audit taking place; they're going to super strict for awhile to "right the wrongs." But that shouldn't be taken out on a child that could use the help. You've fought for Tater Bug since the second he tried to make his early arrival~you are an excellent Mom and you have my permanent support in your fight to get that sweet smart little boy all he needs! The "system" has to have some answers for you~maybe my sister and your current therapists can help give you some of the contact people you can bug the snot out of!!! :) I'm here for you... Love you, Bren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure everything will turn out ok. It already has, he was blessed enough to be born into a family that will take care of him and help him through this tough time.

    M2 gets the RSV shots. They are VERY expensive. Just one more to do this season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing this most you can... you are his very best advocate. Lesley was born at 34 weeks so we are in a similar boat... she still qualifies for speech but the other therapies were cut, which I wasn't totally thrilled with. But with moms like us, what do they have to lose??? Love ya!

    Tracy O.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry things have felt so close and yet so far away. You know what they say about squeaky wheels, so you go squeak away. If your schools are like ours you can always request another eval or bring private evals to the table.

    Regardless of school though, my goodness he is in such good hands- his mommies! :)

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete