Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Adoption

Since I have had a few recent soul bearing posts, I thought I would continue the trend. The next topic, boys and girls, will be my stance on adoption and the "family" unit. :)

*Disclaimer* Daddy-I love you with all of my heart. I always will. While I am going to talk about some of my past on here, please don't mistake it for loving you any less. I simply want to share with the world how wonderful a father you are and what you have done for me. Kisses...

Okay, now that is over with... The man I consider my father is, biologically, not. He did not contribute half of my DNA. His blood is not the same as mine. You know the saying "blood is thicker than water?" Well, in my world, it is not. Blood doesn't matter to me. My father came into my life when I was around the age of 5. Obviously, I don't remember much of my life before he came into it. As a child, I believed him to be my father. As I got older, I noticed some oddities that made me question things. But all along, it was pure curiosity. I am not going to go into the whole how I found out, blah blah blah. It doesn't matter. I found out when I was almost 16. I will never forget that day. My father was a wreck. The most emotional I have ever seen him. I guess he thought that by knowing, I would look at him differently. My parents raised me better than that. It didn't change a thing. In fact, I think it made me love and appreciate him and my mother more.

Over the years, the curiosity of that "other half" has been there. I figured that the sperm donor had a family and had moved on with his life. I always wondered how someone could just walk away from a child. Not ever care. Not ever wonder. But he did. I never judged him for that decision. My mom told him to get out of her life and he did. What would our world be like if there were people out there who didn't give up their children? We would have wonderful people who would make wonderful parents missing out on the joys of parenthood. There would be children out there who would be missing out on the love that these people have to offer. While I don't understand the giving up part of adoption, I am glad it happens.

So the years have gone by. I got married and decided to start my own family. I needed to know my medical history. Really, it was prompted by the death of this man's sister at the young age of 53. She left a husband and 3 children. My grandmother pointed this out to me when it happened. The obituary did not make mention of how she died. It scared me. So I went looking. I knew some of the basics. (You can find out a lot from the internet so be careful.) I wanted the info but I didn't want to contact him. I tried to have a friend of my mom's contact him. It didn't work. So I picked up the phone and called him.

He answered. I lost it. I think it was just the gravity of the situation. (Plus, I am a big 'ol sap. I cry at the drop of a hat. I cried yesterday.) He went on to tell me that he had 5 other girls! One set of twins! This man, who gave up a child many years ago, went on to produce five more children. I also found out that this man had not told his wife or his daughters about me. Mind you, this was only a few years ago. He had been married for 20+ years and didn't even bother to tell his wife. Okay, back to the point. He gave me some information that allowed me to look up his family online.

To be continued....

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow.. you can't end a post like that!! LOL I'm on the edge of my seat now. I can't imagine not telling a spouse about a child you had before them. That's just pure craziness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I think I know some of this story, I'm so anxious to hear the rest. Big hugs to you for writing about this.

    Kel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read the rest of your story. My ex-husband (Michael's biologic father) signed his rights away and then Jody adopted Michael. He went on to have several more children with several more women and doesn't take care of any of them. The part that makes me sad is that Michael has half brothers and sisters out there, he may never know.

    Your Father is a great man, you and your Mom were lucky to find someone that has that much love to give. I thank God everyday for Jody, he is such an amazing father to Michael.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this, although it must have been hard. It is actually helpful to know that our (future) adopted child(ren) will always have that longing to know where they come from.

    5 other daughters. That had to of been hard to hear. My husband's father left them high and dry when he was a toddler and never looked back. Moved on had another "perfect" family. Well his new child got to be a teenager and reached out and found Josh and we now have a relationship with her, but I know it is hard for Josh to see that his father chose to love this "new family" and not his "original family."

    ReplyDelete
  5. The man that is my father doesn't share a drop of my blood either. Yet in all the important times in life from marriage to meeting his new grand children my Dad has been there.

    ReplyDelete