I had to fill out mounds of paperwork and answer tons of questions. I did not realize how bad it was until I started putting it down on paper. Usually, when I fill out history paperwork, there isn't much to fill in. We are relatively healthy people. But a preemie and all the complications that followed was enough to keep me busy the whole 20 minutes we were waiting.
The OT, A, took us back to a room where Tater Bug could play. There was a ball pit and trampoline. There were even little "caves" built to play in. You can imagine what he did and did not do. He would climb and get on the trampoline, but once in the ball pit, he freaked out. He never ventured into the "caves". He was EXTREMELY active for a child that had not had a nap. She did some observing of his behavior and asked me tons a questions.
Then she started "testing" him. It went really quick. I didn't watch most of it because I was filling out some paperwork. Usually, I like to see what they are seeing. She did a quick "grade" after she was done and he tested at a 26 month old level. Seriously. He is almost 37 months old. That is an 11 month delay. I don't know the exact numbers yet and where that stands as far as qualifying him for the preschool program. I can't imagine that he does not qualify now. I will call our PSC and see what I need to do. I requested a copy of the test to be sent to the public schools. It was a standardized test, so they have to honor the results. If it shows that he qualifies, they have to take him and they have to pay for the testing.
So, hopefully, I will know something in the next week or so. I am anxious to get the ball rolling on this. I just feel like Tater Bug slipped through the cracks. And, as his mother, it is my job to fight for him and see that he gets the treatments he deserves. Wish us luck! :)

Oh this must be stressful for you.
ReplyDeleteIf you need any help let me know. Josh is well versed in testing and everything because he's a special education teacher (and I used to be). You must advocate for your child! Looks like you're off to a great start!
Tater Bug's got the right woman fighting for him!
ReplyDeleteI'm proud of you for fighting for your boy! I too am surprised by the 37 vs. 26 mos; and am very curious to see what the results are. I have a feeling that this time, he hasn't slipped through the cracks~you caught him and continue to keep him up front & center! He is lucky to have such a wonderful caring Mom with such a "fighting" spirit! You go girl! Love you, Bren
ReplyDeletesounds like you are doing everything you can!!
ReplyDeleteWow, at least you got the right information and now know what to do with it.
ReplyDeleteYou're doing the right thing testing him early! I know it's hard. Taking Bubba to an autism specialist was excruciating!
ReplyDeleteI know it depends on the state but you are right, if they are diagnosed or tested to be at a lower developmental level, the schools have no choice put to offer specialized pre-school.
I know it's tough now but once he gets into school I'm sure you'll see him accelerate by leaps and bounds!!!
Tater Bug is lucky to have you fighting for him!! I hope you get good news soon!
ReplyDeleteAileigh, you are your child's best advocate. Fight for him. Do whatever you need to do. You know what is best for him. I think you're doing a great job!
ReplyDeleteOh, good luck! I hope all this work pays off for you! I actually just came by to tell you that the randomly-selected winner of the Cheesecake Factory gift certificate is Joy from Joy to the Blog. Thanks so much for entering my giveaway, and for becoming a follower! I hope you enjoy my blog! I try to visit at least 2 of my followers daily to spread comment love so I’ll be seeing you soon!
ReplyDeleteP.S. Come visit for my best giveaway ever from March 23rd-26th!
Best of luck to you. Man, there's just always SOMETHING, huh? I'll pray for you guys. =0)
ReplyDeleteHang in there. I'm a firm believer in therapy and or working with special help in the classroom.......it got Peanut caught up :) Best of luck to you. BTW, Peanut STILL won't venture into those "caves".
ReplyDeleteThank you for stopping by my blog. Thank you for the well wishes. I hope everything goes good with your son. I love the look of your blog super cute!
ReplyDelete