Saturday, February 5, 2011

Violence

Let me start this post by letting you know that nobody was harmed. Keep this in mind.

With that said, let's define harmed... I mean physically. We all see violence everyday on television. Many are unfortunate enough to experience it first hand. Either way, it is not acceptable. And definitely scary.

Yesterday, I witnessed violence first hand. And so did a 10 year old child. Not my child, thank God. I don't want to divulge too much information, but let's just say that two grown men lost their tempers and attempted to physically harm each other. When the verbal fight started, I never thought it would get physical. I figured it was alpha male stuff and they would yap at each other and get it over with. When one man lunged at the other, I was in complete shock. I had absolutely no idea what to do.

The next thing I realized was the child crying hysterically. I promptly removed that child from the situation as best as I could. We could still hear the rustle and bustle of the altercation, but at least there was a wall between us and the fight. Finally everyone calmed down and nothing else was said.

I shook all the way home. The fight was bad enough. But knowing that the child had to witness it was tearing me up inside. I should have removed the child from the situation when the yelling started. But I didn't.

I hate violence. Hate it. There is no need for it. People do lose their tempers, but it should never escalate to the point where you want to physically harm someone else. I just don't understand it. And it happens all the time.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry anyone had to witness what happened. BUT, that said-you did remove the child from the scene. You could have remained there shocked by what you were watching, but you had the frame of mind to protect that child. Give yourself credit for that; you were the protector. I hope everyting is ok. Sending big hugs your way. Love you, Bren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you removing the child. Hope it doesn't replay in your mind.

    ReplyDelete