Thursday, March 26, 2009

Confused and Frustrated

Yesterday was Tater Bug's first OT appointment. When he was in First Steps, his therapy would last an hour. This one lasted a half an hour. First Steps cost us $30 a month. This is $20 a visit. When the OT graded his test, she graded it based on a 33-35 month level. He was 37 months at the time of the test. Do you see where I am going here?

She said she didn't have the right paper to grade it correctly but she would get it before the next appointment. Tater Bug was tested by the public schools at 35 months and just barely did not qualify. I had him tested 2 months later in hopes that he would get a little bit lower score because we were only 3 points away at 35 months. Well, of course, he was 5 points away according to this test. It makes me mad that she went on and sent the report to the public schools knowing full well that it was wrong. ARRRGGGHHH!

So, I think my plan is this... I *know* what needs to be done with him. I have all of the tools to do the "therapy" myself. I know what areas need to be focused on and his previous OT has given me many tricks and things I can try with him. I am going to discontinue therapy. I had to take off work 3 hours early for this and it was only a half an hour. I don't feel like he got anything out of it that he couldn't have gotten at home. I am going to take him to next week's appointment to get the "corrected" results of the test and then be done. Until I can get him qualified for the public schools, I will just do it on my own.

Am I a bad mother for this? I have to look out for my family financially and do what is best for Tater Bug. I am just really confused about it right now. I am getting this feeling that we are just a "copay" right now. I hate that feeling. There is open screening in May that I will be taking him to. I just didn't want to wait that long. But, now, it looks like I just might have to. I don't know....

15 comments:

  1. You know what A...I agree with you wholeheartedly. Your going with that gut decision and something many of us could do from time to time. Your both amazing parents so don't forget that.

    xoxoxo,

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Girl, I'm sorry therapy was literally a bust. WE had all hoped for so much MORE! :( I think u are making the right decision; you know what to work on at home & in all honesty May isn't that far away. It'll be here before you know it. Bless your heart and your mind for being so "on top of things" for your boy! You are a good momma, don't hesitate for a second on that! Hugs! Love you, Bren

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should do whatever it is that needs to be done. I wouldn't feel bad for taking him out of OT - when you're not getting your moneys worth and it's stuff that you could be doing at home. I wouldn't fret. It sounds as if you're doing an amazing job and are doing everything in your being to make things better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you!! Your his mother, you know what's best for him and your family. I would do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ugh....the "system" pisses me off!
    You know what is best for him and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you should do what you think is best for your son and your whole family! If you think you can do the therapy at home, then go for it!! It will save you time and money! I hope everything goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds to me like you're being a GREAT mom...you're trying to do what's best for your little guy and your family. And I think you're right...who knows better than you what will work and what he needs. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOu are doing what is best for Tater Bug by fighting for him! He's a lucky boy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, before you give up on the therapy...you may want to request a different therapist. We lucked out and had four wonderful people working with London........but one awful one who seemed to busy to ever really help him.. I reported her and demanded to switch.....that took care of the problem. Yes, you can do a lot at home, but you also want to make sure he has the proper (and corrected paperwork) sent to the school system, just in case he needs services down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You rock. Honestly, as someone who meets with families to do therapies I am always glad when parents don't need me and feel confident to do the strategies and what not on their own. It's a great sign that you have had good therapists in the past that have given you the tools you need.

    There are so many awesome resources out there (Out of Sync Child has TONS of activities) that I have no doubt you can do just as wonderful a job as the next OT. You've had lots n lots of experience, plus you have your mommy instincts and that is something no therapist can ever compete with.

    hugs,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man, what a stressful thing for a mama to have to decide. Just go with your gut! Your his mama and you WANT WHAT'S BEST FOR HIM, and YOU get to make that decision. Pray about it and God will show you what's best for you. And ya know what? It'll all work itself out. It really will. I'll pray for wisdom for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it makes total sense to just do it yourself at home.

    Although I'm wondering why you have to pay for it at all...here in Rochester NY all early intervention services are paid for by the school district.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Go with your gut. You know what's best for him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. As the saying goes "Mom Knows Best." You know him better than anyone.

    ReplyDelete