Sunday, August 16, 2009

NICU Photography

Yesterday, I spent the entire day, along with my mom and my dear friend K, at the local NICU taking pictures of the tiny babies born too soon or with some problems preventing them from going home. I, along with the family support specialist, went into the NICU and took the photos. Then we brought the card out to my mom and K and they downloaded, sorted, and burned the images on disk for the families.

To say this was a rewarding experience is a complete understatement! I had parents thanking me left and right, but, really, I needed to thank them. I feel like I got more out of it than they did. It was such an honor to be able to provide them with their first professional family photograph. I mean, these babies are troopers fighting for their lives. And I had the honor of recording part of that journey. It was amazing.

Because of HIPAA laws, I can not give out specifics. But I am working on getting a few photography releases so that I can, at least, share some of the images with you. If I get them, you can bet your bottom that I will be posting some here and over at Little Bugz for you all to see. There is one in particular that simply moves me and evokes so much emotion! It is amazing. Did I say it is amazing?

Anyway, there were a couple of babies that weren't doing so well and I agreed to come back and give them the opportunity to have their pictures taken as well. I really hope the parents take advantage of it...

All babies are a blessing, but I hold a special place in my heart for preemies! :)

2 comments:

  1. Knowing you were a part of this adventure just tugs at my heartstrings. Combining a passion of preemies and photography had to be so incredibly healing and rewarding for you. I am humbled by your compassion and enthusiasm my dear...bless you! Love you, Bren

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did amazing yesterday!! I'm so proud of you for doing that and you should be too. I hope to help out again when the time comes around.

    Your the best!!

    ReplyDelete